Friday, February 19, 2010

A quiet week...


It's been a quiet week in Kiwi-land. It rained quite a bit, so we stayed inside and worked on our various projects. Greg's working on his classes, though he's pretty much fed up with school and can't wait to work. His biggest complaint these days is the bed, which isn't too supportive and gives a rather lousy night's sleep. I'm half tempted to hire a rental bed for the short term just so the poor man can get some sleep!

Celia has been spending a lot of time socializing on computer and working on school work. Greg takes care of most of the supervision regarding her classwork, though I deal with the English portion. She still is hanging out in the house a lot, which frankly I don't understand. While I was pretty shy as a kid, I still was rather curious and would wander around in new places solo just to see what there was to see. Celia doesn't really show these inclinations, though I have been told repetitively to be patient and let her adapt at her own pace.

And I occupy my time with a variety of work. There are my classes, which are going well enough. And I also have my illustration work, which I have managed to adapt to pretty good. Part of this trip was an experiment in the theory I could manage my business anywhere as long I had a decent internet connection. The theory has proven true and I have managed to create a comfortable set up in which to work, though I really think that if this trend of travel continues I will have to invest in a better quality laptop and probably a cheaper secondary for Celia since we are on share time with this one. 


I have not been doing much in terms of personal visual art though. One I haven't gotten around to getting proper supplies, but more importantly I've just felt stronger about other creative outlets. I have been writing on the experience privately and also have taken a liking to photography. While photos aren't my strongest suit, I do find they work a lot better with how I am taking in the environment here. The natural beauty is incredible, big and small, and I have trouble trying to take what I see and translating it into paint or sketch form because simply it is perfect as is in nature so it's hard to think I could add much to it. So I capture what I see in photos and words instead here, which I'm satisfied with. Perhaps when we return the photos will develop into something more in paint and pencil. 


Currently I've been photographing the sea shore. I find myself fascinated by the treasures the sea delivers up in the tides. Though soon I know I will be photographing houses. I adore the houses here. In the states most neighborhoods look very cookie cutter, little houses all stamped out the same with the only variation being color, and not very bold color at that. Here, in New Brighton, each house is it's own individual expression. On any block none of the houses will look too terribly alike as you will have a brick bungalow next to a two story sculpted modern line stucco, next to a cottage engulfed in wild gardens. My eye is constantly engaged with the individuality of these homes, most having a wild or well loved garden as well as fences of all variety, weather worn or neatly maintained, wood or iron or hedgerow. But these sort of photos will have to be taken carefully, discreetly and likely on work day mornings when most people are not home because frankly I don't want to unnerve anyone by taking photos of what to them is a home and to me is a work of self expression and art.

No comments:

Post a Comment