Sunday, April 18, 2010

Art all around...

One of the things I've loved here is creative expression everywhere. From outdoor sculptures to graffiti art to the personal artworks that are people's homes, I just love how much I find to look at. One of the more amusing issues local New Brightoners were concerned about when we arrived here was tagging, or the habit of juveniles to sign walls, windows, mailboxes, fences and anything else possible with creative signatures of their initials or nicknames. In reading a local article about it I just loved one business owner's solution to the problem, murals! The taggers never mark up existing artwork. Of course being an artist I just adore a solution that brings more art into the world. Coincidentally last month while coming back from the grocery store I happened by the local bakery where they had decided that solution was a good one as there was an artist there hard at work on a building side mural. So of course I had to stop and chat since I've always been curious about murals, would love to do one someday. The artists name is Richard Baker, or PopxArt on his Facebook and Myspace pages. He is originally from London and part Brit, part Jamaican and married to a Kiwi lady, so they spend a couple years in Britain then come down here for a few. We chatted a while about art, murals, NZ and other stuff. Definitely a groovy person I was happy to meet. Here's a few shots from his Facebook page, Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment